Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I'm aware of the girl in Aruba. A person could dissappear anywhere, in Aruba, the US, anywhere.
this is "board of trade talk"..there is plenty to worry about there
years of genocide and wars have left much of the country sewed with minefields. I merely suggest caution and not to go walking around because "it looks peaceful and pretty".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
[edit] actually I noticed it's not recommended to visit a couple of Thai provinces but I take it they're not the most popular places for tourists to visit anyway.
SCORE!

US STATE DEPARTMENT: CAMBODIA
SAFETY AND SECURITY: In the aftermath of bombings in Indonesia in the last two years, Southeast Asia remains a possible target of terrorism. The Department is concerned that individuals and groups may be planning terrorist actions against United States citizens and interests, as well as sites frequented by Westerners. Extremist groups present in Southeast Asia have transnational capabilities to carry out attacks against locations where Westerners congregate. Increased security at official U.S. facilities has led terrorist groups and their sympathizers to seek softer targets such as clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, outdoor recreation events, hotels, resorts and beaches.

Land mines and unexploded ordnance can be found in rural areas throughout Cambodia, but especially in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, and Kampong Thom provinces. At no time should travelers walk in forested areas or even in dry rice paddies without a local guide. Areas around small bridges on secondary roads are particularly dangerous.
The town of Siem Reap and the vicinity of the Angkor Wat temple complex remain officially open to tourists. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to travel there by air and to limit their movements to the city of Siem Reap and the main Angkor Wat temple complexes.
Pickpockets and beggars are also present in the markets and at the tourist sites. Persons visiting Cambodia should practice sound personal security awareness by varying their routes and routines, maintaining a low profile, not carrying or displaying large amounts of cash, not wearing flashy or expensive jewelry, and not walking the streets alone after dark. Travelers should be particularly vigilant at tourist sites in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville, where there have been a marked increase in motorcycle “snatch and grab” thefts of bags and purses.

Similar cautions apply to portions of Thailand. Both are in the "iron triangle" of drug trade.

..........I never said nor am I saying don't go to Aruba.