Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #21
Jabberwock
Enting

I have to say that I enjoyed your writing, Valandil, and bravery for putting such a large chunk of it on here for all to see. I, myself, am too shy for that. I have a few suggestions, not criticisms. While I realize this piece of writing is more a chronicle than the sort of writing found in a novel, a little more attention to interesting and colorful descriptive text might help you to better draw the reader in on an emotional level. Also, since you're speaking in an archaic tongue (to some extent) you might want to study a bit more on where your thees, thous, and thines fall into place. You do a convincing job, though. I think I kept getting stuck on this aspect of your writing because of my university studies and the number of medieval lit courses I've taken. In all it was an enjoyable piece. Keep it up.
For anyone who wants to write in an archaic style and do it to the best of their ability, I'd suggest a close study of Lord Dunsany's writing. He was a master of creative, and beautiful language use, not to mention a writer that Tolkien admired.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote