Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2002, 04:57 PM   #19
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Quote:
Originaly posted by Bropous: Well, again, had the film simply been a verbatim regurgitation of the books, non-initiates would have had their eyes glaze over by the time the hobbits reached Crickhollow, and would have left the theatre. Also, very few new readers would have been introduced to the Fold.
Again, you persist in blindly defending changes Peter Jackson has made to the story. Sticking to events that happened in the book doesn't mean that P.J had to do it word for word in the film too, why would you think this?
You are trying to make out that had P.J portrayed Aragorn's relationship with Elrond and the kingship of Gondor the same as Tolkien had, it would have made the film worse in some way. Again, what's you'r reasoning behind this? I really don't think you have a case here.

Quote:
Originaly posted by Bropous: Elrond did NOT agree to give him the hand of Arwen by the time of the counci, and basically told him that he would NEVER part with Arwen willingly. SOURCE: Appendix A, Return of the King.
That simply isn't true. If you read more of Appendix A, you'd come accross this dialogue between Elrond and Aragorn:

"My son, years come when hope will fade, and beyond them little is clear to me. And now a shadow lies between us. Maybe, it has appointed so, that by my loss the kingship of men may be restored. Therefore, though I love you , I say to you: Arwen Undomiel shall not diminish her life's grace for less cause. She shall not be the bride of any man less than the king of both Gondor and Arnor. To me then even our victory can bring only sorrow and parting - but to you hope of joy for a while. Alas, my son! I fear that to Arwen the Doom of Men may seem hard at the ending."

Quote:
Originaly posted by Bropous: As for Aragorn, Aragorn certainly WAS leery of claiming the Kingship of Gondor, at the time of the Council, if only because he was heartbroken that Arwen was denied to him by Elrond
So, if you read the passage above, you'll notice that long before the council of Elrond, Elrond had told Aragorn that he could indeed have Arwen, only after he had claimed the kingship of Gondor and Arnor. So, you couldn't be more wrong , and proves that Peter Jackson completely changed what Tolkien wrote.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 01-19-2002 at 05:06 PM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote