Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #29
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

One book, "The History of the American People" had impact on me by showing me how bad history books can be. It was so biased, so one-sided, and so poor at choosing what subjects were worthy of attention, that I was strongly revolted by the book.

The problem is, I didn't know very much about the earlier periods of American history when I started reading the book. I knew more about later on events. Therefore it was only after I got to the later parts of the book that I realized how poorly the historian chronicled things. I read the whole book, all its hundreds of pages, and I did learn some interesting things. However, I also have trouble now because I don't know how much of my education I'm able to trust. Sometimes I have information in my head about an issue, but I don't know whether that information is reliable or not, or whether it's biased or not.

The Bible had a mighty impact on me when I was fifteen, and since then has been greatly important in my life. Before I was fifteen, I wasn't interested in the Bible much at all, and never read it of my own accord. Some ugly events in my life led to a dramatic encounter with God, and that completely changed my outlook on the Bible.

My other favorite book is "The Case for Christ," even though it's nonfiction.

I really like fantasy and science fiction books, but I can't think of any of them that made me think .

Nerdanel, you really should read "The Grapes of Wrath". It's excellent.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote