Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RĂ*an
I think gay marriage is harmful to society and to the participants. You don't accept my definition of wrong/harmful in this case
Your definition of “wrong” and harmful is irrelevant because the bible isn’t a useful source for gathering data on gay marriage. Meanwhile, its pretty easy to observe, measure and document the harm in a partial birth abortion. In fact Id hazard a guess that its nearly 100% fatal far as I can tell. That’s a restriction of liberty. Death that is. And since we currently accept 9 months as way too late in the development cycle for normal abortion (but allowable in cases of danger to the mother) then it would be WRONG to restrict such liberty to the child. But it would also be wrong to restrict the liberty of perusing marriage between two adult willing gays. Yes, Rian you can say you may not kill this person. Because of they are allowed to kill this person then whos to say they cant kill someone related to you and attempt to justify it. But you cant say you may not enter into a relationship with this other person because I disagree with it on moral grounds even though it has absolutely nothing to do with me and doesn’t effect me.

Quote:
Why is it sad? What are they "learned and wise elders" about if religion isn't about truth? What are they seeing beyond TO, in your opinion, if it's not something that's true or false?
They are seeing the inhumanity of the universe through their own humanity. They are realizing that the symbols man uses are just that: symbols and not The Way to be defended at all costs. And that to engage all your life in defending your belief system is missing out on what the belief system really means. The real and true patterns of life can be found by analyzing the divine. You begin to see the patterns if you allow yourself. And you don’t need one specific narrow view or religion to achieve this understanding. This understanding can be found in ALL religions. and it can ALSO be found in art, in writing, in poetry, in music, even from hiking in nature. The vehicle is not as important as understanding the journey.

Quote:
It seems like the only thing that your "elders" are wise about is being "transcendant" - but if that has no relation with knowing truth, then what are they wise ABOUT? No offense, but it seems like they're just wise about getting high
oh I see, to you “transcendence” just means drug use. Well step back from your peyote preconceptions of the term “transcendence” and realize it has nothing to do with drugs but instead it has to do with getting BEYOND (yeah that’s the transcendence part…) that which limits us and keeps us from seeing the meaning beneath the veil. To many people focus just on the covering and spend all their life arguing over the nature of the covering and never see the important thing which is the shape of the thing under the covering. Why? Because we can only approach this thing through the use of the various coverings so many feel why worry about that which we can never see directly and instead focus on the things we can see and control directly. In that way they allow the man made reality to become more important then the divine.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."