Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
the knowing of boromirs fate is a good one, but also, boromir was a very materialistic person. he thought the ring could be used and didnt thin about it overcoming them. and materialistic people love gold. its shiny. so dont touch mine. its mine. my own. my preciousssssssssss.
Now that is unfair! Boromir "was a man after the sort of King Eärnur of old, taking no wife and delighting chiefly in arms; fearless and strong". . Surely he would have preferred an elven blade to some flashy belt! He may have been materialistic, that it doesn't mean he was greedy of gold as such. He wanted the One ring not as a shiny trinket, but because of the power it contained: the power to win the war and save his country.

Actually Boromir is tragic. He was the most formidable man in ME after Aragorn (and Denethor maybe). But Fate has put him in such a place where he could do nothing to resist the lure of the One. Men were always the least resistant to ring influence, and the most powerful and strong willed were even more tempted than average ones. Nobody has even bothered to explain Boromir in detail why he could not use the One. Aragorn had been taught from childhood the story of Isildur and had time to reflect on it, I am sure he was reflecting on it over and over again. It was foolish for Erlond and Gandalf to let Boromir join the fellowship, it was criminal for Galadriel to let him continue, after she learned of his lust for the Ring.

But it is quite typical for Elves to let men down. How do you think, back in the middle of the Second age, when Sauron distributed the nine rings, has any keeper of the Three bothered to warn Men about the danger of the Elven rings? I bet not!

Last edited by Gordis : 05-13-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote