Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2005, 02:45 PM   #11
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:

ginally Posted by inked
Perhaps just perhaps if the Muslims had held their European territory they would now be the laid back "western voice of reason" in the world and the christians would be the foaming at the mouth militant crazies that the muslims often get painted as today. In fact that’s much how it was when the Moors were in power in Spain. They ushered in one of the most amazing eras of architecture and science and education among their citizenry the world has ever known. Meanwhile the Europeans were in a relatively barbaric age with no central power or source of connection.

The greatness of Al-Andalus civilization is much overrated, in my opinion. Actually, politically Al-Andalus was not that a great place to be. Even under the caliphate centralized power could only be maintained by oppression of the natives, like the rebellions during the IX and X century confirm. While scientifically and artistically they were superior to their north Iberian counterparts, they were incapable of creating a stable, ethnically integrated state. Partially it was due to the nature of political power under Muslin rule, it is legitimated by religion, but in a country where the majority wasn’t Muslin no Emir or Caliph could expect to be accepted as the true ruler but by strength of arms.
This frailty becomes even more apparent during the Taifa kings. Distrusting the native population, local lords would use exclusively Berber, Arab and other non-iberic forces. Not even native muslins were accepted in the army. In fact, Islam in Iberia never really became truly native. The aristocracy always acted as a colonial force, exploiting the native population.

Sorry about the rant, but Medieval History is hard to resist.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion