Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #24
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
Personally, I believe the Ring operated akin to a computer program as opposed to possessing sentience but I understand others feel differently.
Totally agree with you. It was also my thinking that the ring was a very crafty
device with complicated programming, but in no way with presence of sentience.
You can’t even compare it to a dog, because dogs are having some intellect. The Ring does not.
If you will look on most obvious abilities of the Ring, it will be:
1. to attract a potential ring-bearer ( Beats me, but I don't see the clewer reason in making a such creative way for your own destruction!)
2. to dispatch the whereabout of it to the Dark Forces.
3. to suck the life force out of the ring - bearer (Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo) turning him into the shell without his own will.
4. to establish mental connection between Sauron and the ring-bearer.
We have none evidence about this fabled magic power of the Ring, which gives the wielder “to rule them all”. Even the maker and owner himself has been overtaken by the plain mortal without any magic’s enhancement.
Judging by abovementioned characteristic, one could say that the Ring is a some kind of powerful computerized bio-magnetic transmitter, probably, working on couple miligramms of uranium (this explains the exhaustion of the bearers). Nothing magical, just different technology.

The whole book was written as a perception of things from hobbits point of view, and what for them looked like magic, for more advance race, as Elves, was just natural way of life . Similar to the perception on our use of mobil phone by people from a few cenuries ago.

By the way. Thanks for the link. Most interesting. Just need to find the time to read it all.
And welcome to the Moot! Hang around!

Last edited by Olmer : 04-03-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote