Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I think you're right about how the statistics should be done. How do you know that they aren't already done that way, though? I don't know how the statistics are done . . . Do you know better?
I'm fairly sure they aren't done that way, just from their language ("homosexual relationships" rather than, say "committed homosexual relationships" or "gays who consider themselves married," etc are compared to married men and women.) However, I was having distinct trouble via Google in finding any serious, long-term or large-scale studies in the last 10 years. Older data is less accurate to the modern day.

Also, there is a degree to which such studies are inherently biased in any case... which is that homosexual couples know they cannot be married, and that creates a different psychological state from a heterosexual couple that knows marriage is a real possibility. Such a psychological state would be likely to include a lesser committment to the relationship, with lower stakes attached. But that is speculation.

I also did see one study that said (as of 1995) Denmark had had gay marriage/partnership for 6 years and only 5% of gays had married, and 28% of those had ended in death or divorce in those 6 years. Which given the divorce rate in Scandinavian countries overall is higher than 28... (I will reGoogle and find the precise citation for the study if you wish... I don't have it at the moment).