Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Three cheers for dressing however the hell you like, and for not being defined by other people's categories. I myself am at this moment .. no let's no go there.

LCoU, were you also a bit pissed off that they edited out the worst swearies when Little Britain migrated to BBC1 from BBC3? In the scene at the fete, with the gay vicar, and the old lady saying "what that boy needs is a nice big...", she so obviously really enjoyed saying the (not especially rude) words that it felt like sacrilege that they toned it down. Interesting how you can blow people up but you can't describe gay sex explicitly on the BBC.

Quote:
Yes, ANYONE can get AIDS and use meth, but apparently in the gay community the numbers are much higher, so much so that people are targeting the gay community to try to help them (the article notes that "Authorities in San Francisco launched a media campaign against "crystal mess", even plastering the ads on coasters at gay bars"). Is that prejudice? I don't think so. I think it's being practical.
I agree, it's both practical and necessary. However, I also agree with what others were saying about a "gay lifestyle". I guess we have to get a balance between being realistic about which groups are exposed to risk and understanding the reasons why these risks exist. That would be why non-judgmental interventions (e.g. free condoms, needle exchanges for IV drug users) work better IMO than interventions that contain an element of condemning the behaviour.

* Tosses ketchup back with thanks, and asks for some VINEGAR! *

Last edited by The Gaffer : 03-01-2005 at 05:57 AM.