Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM   #18
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
One of the best things about this chapter is the last line. Don't have the book handy but it's something like "the smoke rose high to the heavens and was seen by many eyes", giving us a hint of the intrigue to come. It might suggest to Saruman, for example, that the Rohirrim, and therefore Theoden, may have found the Ring.
Yes the last line is exactly that..

I dont think that it really meant that, it could do, it's just what angle you look at it from. If we are looking at it from your point ofd view, yes Saruman well could assume that the Hobbits captured by the Uruks were in possesion of the ring, and hence Rohan now held it. It could be said that Sauron assumes the same, although that is off no conciqunce as he belives he will come back into his possesion at some point in time.

But note that just before this line, it notes:

Quote:
...and no news of it (this raid) ever came back to either Mordor or Isenguard
From this we could assume that the smoke was mearly a pillar of success for the race of men, and for the greater good.

Its hard to interperate, you either look into it as far as you can, or just look at it at face value.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote