Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #11
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

This is not happening... I am not being drawn into this thread against my will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Why wouldn't you say half the pledge let's see...

I pledge allegiance to the Flag
of the United States of America,
and to the Republic for which it stands:
one Nation under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

So you have a problem with the "indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all" too?
Yep.

Indivisible. Incapable of undergoing division. I wasn't there, of course, but I've heard from pretty good sources that the Civil War occurred. And we're hardly a united country half the time... Not a unitary one or what have you... Not that there's anything wrong with that, don't get me wrong.

With liberty and justice for all. Except, of course, for Japanese Americans during WWII, and Native Americans during almost any time.

Quote:
The "under God" was put into the pledge after WWII - that is all. It was in response to atheist soviet union. Schools before that and even after that required prayers in school though. So I don't know why you think that putting "under God" into the pledge would have been a big thing.
Not a big thing. Just unnecessary. And the atheist Soviet Union is, after all, no more.

Quote:
yeah - they have - but our passed hasn't. The fact that the US was founded on Christian prinicibles has not changed,. You may not like it - but it's fact.
Ah, yes! Let's hold to the past no matter what! Why was it, again, that they banned the Confederate flag in the capital of South Carolina?

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote