Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
While I concur with Lizra that this is a form of reality for many, it is not the optimum reality.
#2:

i assume that you agree with my general premise, more or less, that the "optimum reality" is a balance between what is good for the individual and what is good for society... please tell me if i am wrong

so the next question is who, or what, is the judge

i've said that it's judged at many levels, the individual, whether me or you makes a personal judgement... the society he/she lives in makes it's own judgements... this leads to compromise and sometimes even certain individuals having to suspend their personal judgements for the good of society... since a certain consensus among people in a given society has merits of it's own

but most of all, the world changes... and as we become less isolated globally due to travel and communication... and life becomes less dictated by our environment due to advances in technology... things that seemed absolutely essential to the survival of the individual or society, may no longer be so important

one specific... in the homosexual thread you made a lot of arguments concerning AIDs transmission... if, at some future point, society develops a cure for AIDs, or even better, a cure for just about every ailment we know... would that change your pov at all about something like homosexuality (and i am not talking about marriage... just the general practice)

if you do not agree with this, i must ask, specifically... what is your alternative "optimum reality"??

it is very hard to discuss my pov when you tell me i am wrong on my view about "how the world works", but yet pose no alternative to my explanations for me to compare with