Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Well - as I said, I don't think I'll be seeing this until after Christmas. This thread isn't exactly making me look forward to seeing it though.
Oh, dear. Well, Let me take some bytes to say that it is worth watching, Val. The thing is that the lame scenes outweigh the good moments. But there are a lot of good moments. *wracks brain trying to think of an example*- At least there's more Frodo/Sam stuff. That was something I really missed in the theatrical version: "How did Sam and Frodo get from A to B??" As I've said, Merry gets some good parts, too. They almost make up for that idiotic palantir scene (well, the scene itself wasn't so idiotic, it was just Merry shouting "Pippin!" so many times that got on my nerves). And, if one watches the documentaries, one will suddenly be thankful there is a movie at all. My goodness, they almost didn't make the release date! Considering the mess of work they had to wade through just to put out the last movie, I have to say it's pretty good. But, that said, you finally realize why things are a little sloppy in places: they were in a hurry!

Quote:
I guess... it seems like in the first two EE's, most of what was added came straight from the books. So - it seemed like they had a lot of 'appeasement value' or whatever for all of us who have read the stories. Sorta like 'tossing us a bone' at least.
Well, that's true of TTT, I think. But, personally, I like the theatrical version of FotR better. I think it sticks closer to the story (closer, I said), and is not bogged down by PJ-created junk.

Quote:
In THIS case - it sounds like a mixed bag. And they just KNOW they've 'got us' at this point... that we're all gonna buy the thing.

*sigh*
I think that FotR, from a strictly movie stand-point, was a good movie. Not great, but good. I'll give the SFX a 'great', but the movie as a whole was good. Good acting, good story, good storytelling.... However, I probably would have hated TTT if I hadn't already read the books and fallen for the story the movies represent. Actually, I do hate TTT. And RotK, while a little better in the storytelling department, has as many dumbed-down moments as TTT. So, yes, by this point I'm buying the movies because I'm hooked, not nessicarily because they're the best movies out there. I love the movies for what they attempt to portray, not what they actually are.

Quote:
Please tell me it's better than all that... is it??
Yes, if you don't expect a whole lot, it is better than all of us Tolkien-fanatics are making it out to be. We're just miffed is all.

Quote:
(and WAS Rosie joking about what the King of the Dead says?? )
Yes. LOL.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote