Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #11
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I'm back! Did you miss me?

OK. In my mind, there is one hole in your logic. Your basic claim *ahem*... The blue hatted wizard's basic claim was that lacking true creative ability, humans did not bring evil into existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
Under this definition, Morality is defined as being exclusively in reference to human action and character, which means that things like geese and guns and heart attacks can never be considered immoral (and hence, can't be evil).
Quote:
The answer I'd have to give is: Naming the concept doesn't cause it to exist, because humans lack true creative power. We just don't have the ability to bring something new into existance - the most we can ever manage is to shuffle around already existing things. Naming a concept does aid in understanding it, but there's no way to name a concept that doesn't exist.\
By your own definitons, your first quote seems to indicate that "morality" and "evil" are things that are not present outside of humanity. They are not found in the "animal world" or in "nature."

In which case, without falling back on religion, where does evil come from? There was most certainly a world before humans came into it. Without humans, was there no evil? How did it suddenly come into being?

Without falling back on religion. This goes for everyone.

You claim that humans could never have created evil, and yet also seem to claim that evil did not exist before humans. I'm sure you see the dilemma.

This is, of course, getting Off Topic and real world related...

However, bringing it back to ME, it is made obvious that Morgoth too had no "creative power." Therefore he also could not have brought "evil" into existence. In which case, where does it come from?

This is a random and not yet thought out idea, but considering that Morgoth simply corrupts... could evil be considered a perversion of good?

Quote:
Wayfarer Answers the Deep Questions of Life! This product not approved by the FDA. Truthfullness of Answers not guarateed under law. dissatisfaction not covered under warranty. Void where Prohibited.I think.
What would BoP say? Pamsy-wamsy?

btw, you wrote my name in twice... so it's still spelt wrong.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-07-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote