Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Put Mark before what? When you say "first" you mean before something else. I don't understand what you mean.

The reason I just spent so much time in responding to you is that I was looking around google for any information on this. I didn't find any. What are your sources?
Before Matthew, of course. Why would they put Matthew first? If his and Luke's texts are derivative, they should follow Mark, not sandwich it. That's me. I'm suspicious of these decisions. It seems to come from a desire to add credibility.

You didn't find anything when you googled Enoch? The Book of Enoch was discovered in Ethiopia. As you know, the queen there got her learning straight from Solomon. I would have to dig through my books at home for more details. I'm surprised Google isn't turning this stuff up for you.

I haven't looked recently, but there should be something about the Samaritan discrepancies at least. The difference between the Samaritan and the Jewish Pentateuch should at least raise a few eyebrows. Please forgive any scatter-brain misrememberings. I don't have my books here.

I can certainly understand those quotes from Thomas being misinterpreted. Of course, Arius would have liked the first one. So that has to be the reason they cut it. The second one is just cool. I bet the nuns would flip over it.

To my wrongheaded way of seeing the world, it's alright for there to be errors in the scriptures. They shouldn't be so holy. We should have to have our own personal issues with them. For instance, this business about setting father against son. And the other one about coming with a sword. They appear to contradict other statements in which he says to obey your father and not to live by the sword.

These things don't bother me because I think he was a great teacher and fallible. So I do my best to find his best teachings and take them to heart. I won't put aside my doubt for Aristotle or Zoaraster either. Why should I?

Last edited by Elfhelm : 11-23-2004 at 09:01 PM.