Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2004, 03:37 AM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
How can truth be defined by relationships? Does whether something is true or not depend on how much everyone agrees, or on how much of a bond there is between religions?
No, I wasn't speaking about the nature of truth. I was speaking about the welfare of humanity on Earth, and potential for more human conflict and pain.

Quote:
Should the Theory of Evolution have been discarded out of hand, because it served as a root of hostility between religious and nonreligious people, and because it alienated people?
No, certainly not. I am not sure that the idea that evolution replaces religion is such a good one, though. That indeed does breed hostility. I have heard that Darwin went back and forth with regards to faith, but I do know that in his own text he expressed belief in God. I am not here arguing for or against evolution (and I happen to be undecided and largely unconcerned on the whole matter), I am only saying that evolutionists should not say "religion is erroneous and invalid," particular not to a religious person.

People will believe what they will believe, though. At least, one should speak mindfully when talking with certain groups who are likely to be hurt by one's views. And I know you are mindful of such things.

Quote:
Error buzzer goes off!) Mormons are NOT Christians. They have applied for entry as a denomination of Christianity, but they've been refused repeatedly. With all the liberalism going on now, of course, they might eventually get accepted . But at present, they are not considered Christians.
I would feel very bad if I did not openly consider Mormons as Christians, because Mormons consider themselves Christians, and I don't see anything wrong with this consideration. I acknowledge that they teach things which are not taught by Catholics or Protestants.

Quote:
There are a couple scriptures about this place. One of them says that some sinful angels are kept there in eternal chains, waiting for the Judgment Day. Yet this is another example of a fallicy in Mormonism. How can you take one verse about Jesus preaching to the dead in prison, in 1 Peter, and make an entire belief based upon the one verse, when you IGNORE hundreds of verses about hell? It sounds like the problem I have with liberalism again, and a little with Catholicism. Picking one verse, people go too, too far, and then often enough ignore the clear contrary teachings.
There is a lot more said about Spirit Prison in other scriptures which Mormons hold sacred, such as The Book of Mormon itself, which they believe is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" and the word of God along with the Bible. And there are couple other texts which they believe in. So they aren't just going off of one verse in The Bible. "Hell" in Mormonism is the equivalent of Spirit Prison for some. For others Hell is simply seperation from God.

Quote:
Yes, I know a lot of Mormons are extremely nice. Thanks for telling me some of their religious views. By the way, I still am interested in your emailing me the email address to that Muslim friend of yours. Right now I find myself very much in need of a clear perspective on Islam. I need my lies cleared away
Here again I must sincerely and deeply apologize to you. I am very sorry. It seems you missed my post about this in this thread, my apology. My comment about the Muslim friend was intended to be sarcastic. It was entirely uncalled for, and I should have expressed my opinion in a very different way. The Muslim friend was invented, there is no such person. "Muslim" was a random choice of religious identity. I did not think you would take me seriously, but I should not have said it anyway. I would take it back if I could.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 11-08-2004 at 03:39 AM.