Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2004, 03:28 PM   #37
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Yes, Ñólendil, in our standard american way we tend to coopt any traditional celebrartion and turn it into yet another excuse for conspicious consumption and a chance to get stuff. A bit sad perhaps but its still fun none the less.
The thing is though it's also about giving - not just receiving. People giving out candy, decorating their houses in extravagant ways to give people coming around a good time. I enjoyed dressing up, having the scary soundtracks playing out the windows, the cauldron with dry ice on my porch, the torches leading up to my front door and getting dressed up - all to make it more enjoyable for the kids and others who were coming around.

Same goes for Christmas also - it's also about the joy of making people happy. I don't know many people who look at it really as a "me" holiday.

The thing I hate is that christmas decorations are already in the stores. I'm tired of that. I don't want to hear about Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. My sister already asked me what I want for Christmas - I told her get back to me after Thanksgiving.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote