Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Just because I am made up of many cells and the baby is made up of one or two, I don't see anymore right to it.
see when your belief system tells you that two cells is the same as a fully grown human being then we are left with a chasm of disagreement that cant really be breached. Which is exactly WHY we should approach the problem of abortion from another angle where we BOTH would agree. Like lief says, if I think that a collection of cells isn’t the equivalent of a sentient self contained adult human then my point of view on the issue makes sense and he cant really argue against it.

Quote:
And the baby is not part of the mother. It has an entirely distinct genetic code right from conception. The follicle will have mine.
so are you saying that if the mother (half the genes) and the father (the other half) both agree then the abortion is ok? After all, youd be covering all your genetic bases there.

Quote:
It may be somewhere (for instance it is in your post) but it isn't in our founding documents. "Endowed by his creator with certain unalienable rights." Nothing about when they are endowed.
well it is my understanding that for the most part, on a strictly LEGAL level, human rights are allotted (arbitrarily enough) “at birth” for lack of a better time. That’s when the whole “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” clock starts ticking from what I understand. But again this comes down to when you think something becomes truly human.

Quote:
I disagree with them, obviously. I disagree with all facism. Right is right, despite force. RightS are RightS despite force. I believe I have the right to live even if you kill me. I believe I have a right to speek even if I get imprisoned for it.
ok I agree with that. Remind me how this weaves into your argument that all abortion is wrong. are you saying you believed that when you were two cells? If you are saying you think a two celled creature has the right not to be aborted well on what are we basing that right? Is this a religious sentiment at heart? or are we talking from a strictly scientific point of view? And if so who decides whats important in deciding at what point human cells become a human “life” as we know it? and if your answer is YOU then why is it you think you have more of a right to tell people what to do with their bodies then other people? I mean is there really anyone on earth who should be arbitrarily making such a mandate? And that’s the problem. There will ALWAYS be that arbitrary designation no matter how hard we try to avoid it. Currently we KNOW a grown female human has rights, including rights to undergo medical procedures or not. What is confusing is how we handle rights for the developing fetus. So should we say whatever rights we designate to the developing fetus should trump the known and guaranteed rights of the grown woman? Does that really make sense?

Although I think you bring up a very interesting although somewhat different topic of exactly what are human rights and how do they come about?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."