Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
... although Elrond did propose sending a couple members of his household along as members of the Fellowship.
It was not a proposal, it was a lame suggestion Had I a host of Elves...it would awail a little".
Quote:
However, they made the conscious decision, or the strategic choice, to do nothing at Elrond's council, because they believed that secrecy would serve everyone's purpose better in the long run.
Agree. It was a strategic decision to do nothing, to postpone the Ring destruction by sending the fellowship on long and dangerous quest instead of enlisting help of the lesser wizard and make the hobbits to be delivered by the eagles to the entrance of the Mount Doom in the matter of hours unharmed and without the life-time lasting nervous break-down.
Quote:
The elements of the world depicted by Tolkien are not nearly as complete as the elements of the story he told, but we cannot supplement his elements with our own.
In mine view the elements of the stories, told by Tolkien ,are not nearly as complete as the world he had "glimpsed" and tried to depict, because he simply did not have enough time to oversee all connections.
Yes , we can do an implication, but they should be well based on Tolkien's words, then it woun't be a "rewriting", but a logical projection of JRRT ideas.

Quote:
If anything, absence of denial proves how hopeless an argument is, if that is all it can offer in the way of proof of anything.
Cann't agree more on that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
And Olmer... hopefully at least your prior posts will set the stage for you, so you don't have to repeat everything again.
Thank for your support.This link is really making my life easier, because for uninformed reader it's really difficult to grasp the whole big picture which I'm trying to "paint".

Last edited by Olmer : 09-30-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote