Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #20
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Naw, #3 is not a prediction, it's an act of looking forward.

Not from dictionary.com:
Quote:
Pedantry: relentless quotation of dictionary definitions in the pursuit of semantic circles
Just joking.

I think foresight is a better description of whatever it was.

The same would go for Galadriel's mirror. If some things may only come to pass if you do stuff to influence their chances of coming to pass, then they're not prophesies, they're just statements of things that might happen. To my mind, a prophesy is something that you can't influence.

I'm not sure whether Glorfindel was in a position to understand what his foresight (or prophesy) meant. But there is lots of this in LOTR (e.g. Paths of the Dead, Frodo's curse on Gollum, Dain's prediction re: Durin's Bane); what other examples can you think of? What do they imply about foreknowledge in LOTR?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote