Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #21
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagst the Brown
But can you say what he did wrong in that time? (befroe Huor and hurin arrived to Gondolin)
From The Silmarillion, chapter 23: Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
Quote:
Maeglin spoke ever against Tuor in the councils of the King, and his words seemed the more weighty in that they went with Turgon's heart; and at the last he rejected the bidding of ULmo and refused his counsel.
And he did that just out of spite (he hasn't yet been captured by the Orcs); so he acted as an evil counsellor (comparable to Grima in LOTR) and caused Turgon to refuse the advice of Ulmo, eventually bringing about the fall of Gondolin. Now that certainly is wrong.

Here's another quote, from chapter 16: Of Maeglin
Quote:
But as the years passed still Maeglin watched Idril, and waited, and his love turned to darkness in his heart. And he sought the more to have his will in other matters, shirking no toil or burden, if he might thereby have power.
Thus it was in Gondolin; and amid all the bliss of that realm, while its glory lasted, a dark seed of evil was sown.
So Maeglin acted evilly long before he was captured by Orcs, it was in him from the start, Idril was just the catalyst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast the Brown
Do you want to open a thread, that defines 'evil' in lotR? Becuase we're way OT right now.
Although not adressed to me, I think it's a very good idea! Start the thread and I'll post in it. If you don't feel like it, then I'll start it later.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote