Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2001, 07:52 PM   #11
surjay
Sapling

No hate..

Gollum's one of, if not, my most favorite characters in all of Tolkien's work. Not only being humorous, but he is extremely vital to the entire story, and people overlook just how important he really was.

It's debatable whether or not Sam and Frodo would of made it into Morder without Gollum. It's possible, but just how likely? Even though it was a setup, Gollum did provide them with an alternate entrance, and showed them the way into the darkland. I highly doubt Sam and Frodo would of just stumbled across an easy way into Morder, and I think things would of ended up far worse had they just walked up to the Black Gate.

Gollum also was very helpful in the Dead Marshes, as Frodo and Sam seemed ill prepared to overcome them on their own.

But aside from all of this, which is very arguable, Gollum provides the biggest help of all by falling into the cracks in the end. Frodo even admitted he would not of been able to destroy the ring, and it seemed pretty obvious he wasn't going to do it, so unless Sam was going to slay him, or try to rip it off his hand, which is doubtful, without Gollum, the quest would of failed.