Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2004, 01:08 PM   #11
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
If informing people about it causes more sex which causes more STDs than would occur if abstinence-only was taught, there's a very good reason not to inform people of it.
it doesn't cause more STDs if contraception is used

the way i see it, and we'll put real numbers aside, since i don't have them... with your way, let's say 50% are abstinant till married and 50% have sex unprotected

with my way, let's say 40% are abstinant till married, 40% use contraception and 20% have unprotected sex

which way is better to control STDs?

Quote:
The belief that sex before marriage is a right and expected behavior isn't something the kids would get from their own primal instincts. They would be getting it solely from their safe-sex education.
sex is a much more primal instinct than marriage... and in terms of premarital sex, STDs aside, i actually think it is a good thing for people to experience one another in this kind of way before getting married... and i would be more concerned if my kids did not experience it before marriage than if they did... as long as it was done with both respect and safety in mind... but that's a whole 'nother issue