Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Dark Lord Sauron
Hobbit

Some Questions Regarding States/Provinces

Hello again. In my ever-ongoing quest to conquer Middle Earth and liberate the oppressed subjects of the Men and Elvish kingdoms, I have to keep up to date with all of the events going on in the area. I have therefore created this thread with the intent on having questions answered. Questions regarding regions of Middle Earth from Lindon in the west all the way to the Iron Hills in the east.

Lindon and the Blue Mountains: Lindon seems like a secure area of Middle Earth in the Third Age. However, in the Blue Mountains of Lindon there seem to be several Dwarvish city-states. For starters, what were some of these specific states? What was their relation with Lindon; were they vassals of Lindon, did they have some sort of military agreement, etc. How old were these city-states? When was the date of their last founding (e.g. if a city-state had earlier been destroyed in war and was then rebuilt). Were these city states allied or politically united?

Numeriador: This political establishment seems to be located between Lindon and Arthedain. What the heck was it?

Eregion: Eregion and Ost-in-Edhil were both destroyed during the Second Age. However, I believe, if only by simple human migratory patterns, that this area could not have been completely deserted all the way up to III 3019. Who reoccupied this region by the time of the War of the Ring?

Angmar and Mount Gram: After III 1975 both Angmar and Carn-Dum were nonentities. This left Mount Gram as the largest political and civilized establishment north of Rhudaur. Mount Gram obviously became an important Orc-base. My question is, was Mount Gram closer to the concept of a city-state, where they controlled little outside of the mountain, or was it a state, where it controlled most of the former realm of Angmar? Also, did Mount Gram control any of the former kingdom of Arnor, such as northern Rhudaur? When was it destroyed, if it ever was?

The Lossoth: Rather simple question: Aside from transporting the last king of Arthedain to safety, or attempting to, were the Lossoth ever involved in the wars between Angmar and Arthedain, by taking either side?

Gundabad: This seems to be the Orkish capital of the north; however that alone raises some questions. As "capital", did it influence at all any of the other Orkish political establishments, such as Mount Gram or Moria? Or was it simply the largest Orkish city in the north? When was it destroyed, if it ever was?

Dunland: Several people outside this forum has said Dunland was territorily part of Rohan. This strikes me as odd for two reasons: (1) The appendix in Return of the King never mentioned Dunland being transferred to Rohan from Gondor, and (2) It doesn't border Rohan. What was its actual relationship with Rohan, and did Isengard ever exert any political control over it?

Anduin Vales: Was there any political entity here? Did it exist at the time of the War of the Ring?

The Misty Mountains: What were all the individual Dwarfish city-states in the Misty Mountains? At what dates were these city-states destroyed by Orcs? What were all the individual Orkish states? Were they destroyed, and at what dates?

Umbar: What was Umbar's relationship with the Harad after its conquest in circa 1856? Did they pay tributes, or did the Harad basically give the Corsairs a blank state and grant them full independence? Was Umbar still Dunedain culture by III 3019?

Gondor and Dol Amroth:Gondor seems to have had a massive decentralization effort in the middle of the Third Age. This resulted in the granting of Calenhardhon to Rohan, the independence of Dol Amroth, and the creation of several fiefs, such as Lossarnach, Lebennin, and Dor-en-Ernhil. Dor-en-Ernhil seemed to be owned by the Prince of Dol Amroth. Would this make the Prince a vassal of Gondor? Would this explain his status as "Prince" and not "King"? Dor-en-Ernhil seemed to be a part of Belfalas; where did one end and the other begin?

As for the other fiefs, did they generally honor typical feudal contracts by responding to calls of war, paying tributes, etc? Or did they have their rebellous periods, perhaps once the line of kings died out?

Dagorlad: Tolkien indicates that as part of the decentralizing effort in Gondor, its Eastern territories were abandoned. I have always believed that this included Dagorlad. In this case, did Mordor occupy and begin administering Dagorlad? Or did it fall into the hands of Easterlings? Or did the people who had lived there before under Gondor's control simply rule themselves?

Mirkwood: Thranduil obviously ruled northern Mirkwood, and Sauron ruled southern Mirkwood, up to Dol Guldur. What about the rest of Mirkwood? Was there a political entity there, or were there several? Some have told me that Mirkwood was split into four, but I have no idea about the political boundries nor backgrounds of the other two. Were there any major cities in the middle of Mirkwood, outside the control of Thranduil and Mordor? Who controlled the region around Dol Guldur prior to Sauron's occupying it?

Rhovanian: Who lived here?

The Iron Hills: Obviously the Dwarf state was formed following the destruction of the Dwarfish kingdom in the Gray Mountains. Did this state survive all the way up to the War of the Ring? Was Dain II ruler of this area, or did he leave someone else to rule it instead? Did the area of rule extend over the entire mountain area, or only in a certain area, like a city-state?

These are but a few of the questions I have. Please answer as many as possible!