Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2001, 12:19 AM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

*(Lief Erikson graciously refrains from commenting)*

Steward coughed as he fought his way through the brambles, the others following him. "There!" he gasped as a light began to filter through the smoke ahead. "Fire and smoke can be very disorienting in a strange wood, but I think that we're finally through."

He finished pushing through the bushes and staggered out of the brush, emerging on the top of a tall but gently sloping hill. The others followed quickly after him, wiping the soot from their faces.

"None of the wolves died in the fire," Irid reported with a smile.

"Which means there'll be more for you to use in hunting Arcon," Erenfor said calmly, receiving startled glances from a few of the others. "Certainly all the better for you."

Irid's face reddened slightly, but with anger, not embarrassment. "You think I'd use these wolves in that way? They want to destroy him every bit as much as I do, but I will not use them!"

Erenfor didn't appear to hear, although that might have been his madness settling back in again. He was staring out down the hill, towards the point where the forest started again.

"You'll have to lead us from here," Steward told him, but Erenfor still seemed to be lacking eardrums. "But we can take a little rest first, if you like," Steward continued. "I need one myself somewhat; these old bones don't get much the younger by running full tilt through the forest, cut up by brambles and expecting to be caught between either an arrow in the heart or a wall of fire in the back."

"All right," Irid said with a smile in his direction. "We can take a rest."

"Thank-you," Steward said with a flourish before seating himself on a dead log.

Shelina staggered through the forest, her eyes tearing as she wiped soot away from her face and coughed as more smoke came up to blind and choke her. The red glow of fire was closer behind her, but it was off to the right and left now too, and it constantly seemed to be growing brighter no matter how she fled it. Farther away, there seemed to be an opening. A point where light broke through the smoke and trees. She made for that, even though she could see Sandor and some kind of a beast nearby. Perhaps Sandor was still on her side, but everyone she'd allied with so far seemed to be operating for their own ends exclusively, not concerning themselves with anyone else. But right now she simply had to get out of this forest alive.

She choked another mouthful of dust and ash and spat it out, scrambling desperately out of the forest.

Although she'd known she'd been that she was in danger and possibly might die a firey death, little did she know how narrowly she'd avoided recieving it from the hands of someone else entirely.