Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2001, 10:13 AM   #1
Vanimdil
Enting

Elves' physical characteristics

Hi all,
I'm trying to gather more information on the physical appearance of Tolkien's elves, especially any references to their general appearance in his works other than The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings series. I'm particularly interested in information pertaining to the Sindar and Laiquendi. I'd also be interested in information or opinions on the following:
Are ALL elves unusually tall or would there perhaps be as much variation as among humans(at least among elves other than the High Elves?)
Stereotypically, elves are considered to all be small-boned and and extremely thin. When people describe Tolkien's elves this way are they just following stereotype or did Tolkien describe elves this way somewhere? What I'm getting at is could there be elves who were perhaps a little larger-boned and muscular than others?
I know these questions are rather open-ended and prone to controversy but I would really enjoy hearing some other opinions about this.
Thanks!

---Vanimdil
Vanimdil is offline   Reply With Quote