Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Capuken
Sapling

Nazgul Power of the Balrogs and Elven Kings

It is very interesting to me to see the difference between the blarogs described in the silmarillion as opposed to the balrog of Kazad-dum. The Balrog of Khazad-dum was seen using magic that matched that of Gandalf, arguably the greatest of the Istari. But in the Silmarillion the Balrogs seem to fight in simple hand to hand combat using weapons like swords, fire-whips, and axes, and of coarse fire. They never seem to make any sort of incantations or any spells of power. I wonder the extent of their power at this time. Could it simply be that the Balrog of kazhad-dum was just much older and had time to learn those arts, or was he just more powerful?
That raises another question in my mind, how did gandalf compare up to the Kings of the Noldor. Gandalf was an incarnate of the holy race of maia, where as the kings of the noldor were simply elves. Of coarse all of the elves that fought balrogs were counted as some of the greatest elves in the history of arda like:
Feanor, Fingon, Turgon, Ecthelien, Glorfindel... But did their power rival that of a Maia?
Finarfin matched up to sauron in the "Ilse of Werewolves" while trying to help Beren, and the kings of the noldor accomplished many other incredible fears.
I mean Feanor, (who happens to be my favorite elf) seems to have been described as taking on more than one balrog at at time. how does this then compare to gandalf who was equal to just one balrog. I think this just shows how incredibly strong and "powerful" the noldorin kings of the first age were.
Capuken is offline   Reply With Quote