Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2004, 04:01 AM   #21
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I don't see people picketing with signs saying "I'm confused, please tell me what to do". I really don't understand what you're saying
LOL. You're quite right.

I agree with JD and GM here. Lots of issues have complex technical details so it makes sense to appoint a representative, equip him or her with a team of objective advisers, and ask them to make a decision based on that advice and the broader political agenda.

Too many referenda would result in the death of politics.

Having said that, I am optimistic that people are smarter than they appear, and I believe that decisions should be made at a local level wherever possible.

The current hot topic here is whether we should have a referendum on a possible European Constitution.

That seems like a reasonable suggestion, as it might result in significant changes to sovereignty. However, I worry that most people will vote with their anti-foreigner heads on.

Blair has been quite clever in committing to one at this stage: at a stroke he has neutered one of the Tories' main lines of attack and strengthened his own hand in negotiations with the rest of Europe over what's in the Constitution.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote