Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
New Play- Title and Comments Please

The working title of this play is Brain Pain. I would love suggestions and comments as well.

~~~~~

Scene 1 - A cafe
(Two tables on stage with two chairs at each table. Cassandra sits at B2 bundled up and reading. Gary is at A2 with his jacket on the back of the chair, drinking a coffee. Jake comes in and sits at A1)

GARY: Hey Jake.
JAKE: Hey Gary. (winces and grabs head)
GARY: Jesus, are you still having those migraines?
JAKE: Don’t say Jesus, I’m Catholic.
GARY: Aw hell, in all our years of friendship I have never known you to go to church, and I’ve known you since high school.
JAKE: I can still be offended, so shut up goddamnit. Religion is the only part of my life that’s not attacking me.
GARY: What, is work bad too?
JAKE: Well, it’s work you know? All paper pushing and computers. (winces again) An yes, I am still getting “those migraines.”
GARY: Hey Jake, why don’t you take some time off? Go ask that doctor guy if he’s got anything stronger. I can get you some sick leave--
JAKE: Look, thanks a lot for getting me this job. I needed it. But what I don’t need is a bunch of favors like I’m your charity case.
GARY: Fine, suit yourself. (check’s watch) Lunch break is almost over. (stands up, grabs coat) Sure you won’t just go home?
JAKE: Ha. There’s nothing for me at home except a can of tuna fish.
GARY: Jake, I’m serious. See that doctor guy again. If you don’t come back to work today, it’ll be fine with the company. (leaves)
(Jake winces and takes some medication. Cassandra looks up and glares at him from the next table.)
CASS: You really shouldn’t be taking all those you know.
JAKE: Listen, I’ve got a bad headache, and you don’t need to make it worse.
CASS: Migraines are the product of built up negative energy. What you need is a cleansing ritual.
JAKE: What?
CASS: Something to soothe your sole and mind.
JAKE: (gets up and walks to Cassandra’s table) I’m sorry. I’m Jake. (Holds out hand)
CASS: Cassandra. (Takes hand)
JAKE: (sits down at B1) What was this you were saying about “negative energy” and “cleansing rituals”.
CASS: You obviously aren’t familiar with the Pagan religion. It has to do with all the currents of energy and humans are the rocks that line the river.
JAKE: (thinks this is bogus but says nothing) I see.
CASS: I am like a flat rock in the river of the universe; the currents of energy carve me flat and smooth. Whereas you are like a big boulder sticking out of the water, always fighting the current, but still miserable.
(They make eye contact. There is a definite connection between them. Jake breaks it.)
JAKE: I’ve never liked rivers much.
CASS: It’s metaphorical.
JAKE: Well, I don’t like metaphors either. I’m more technically minded. What about you?
CASS: I’m a college student studying ecology. Somehow, a piece of the 70’s spirit has got stuck in me.
JAKE: (winces) Somehow, a battle axe from the 14th century got stuck in me.
CASS: Hey, one of my classes is acupuncture. I could try some on you.
JAKE: No no, thanks. I have a doctor I go to.
CASS: I heard. (pause) What’s he like?
JAKE: Well, he researches a lot. (pause, Jake rubs a temple) His name is Dr. Ray, if you ever get tired of herbs and candles.
CASS: And if you ever get tired of being pumped with drugs like some fat heifer on the way to the slaughter house, you can call me. (gives Jake her phone #)
JAKE: You get electricity in your witchie cottage? (hands her his phone #)
CASS: Don’t mess with me. And don’t you even say the frog line.
JAKE: Sorry.
CASS: You should be. I’m late for class. Bye.
(Cassandra leaves. Jake has another sip of coffee. He pulls out his meds and defiantly takes another then exits also.)

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote