Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #1
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

The Selective Service Act

I'm not sure how many people know but Hollins and Rangel have passed legislation to reinstate the Selective Service Act. I'm strongly against it because it violates an individual's freedom.
Heres a good link below:
end selective service

Here is two quotes from Daniel Webster which I liked very much..

"Where is it written in the Constitution? In what article is it contained, that you may take children from their parents, parents from their children, and compel them to fight in battles of any war in which the folly or the wickedness of government may engage it? … Who will show me any Constitutional injunction which makes it the duty of the American people to surrender everything valuable in life, and even life itself, not when the safety of their country and its liberties may demand the sacrifice, but whenever the purposes of an ambitious and mischievous government may require it? The question is nothing less than whether the most essential rights of personal liberty shall be surrendered, and despotism embraced in its worst form. "

“A free government with an uncontrolled power of military conscription is the most ridiculous and abominable contradiction and nonsense that ever entered into the head of man.”

I think it is very foolish to draft U.S. conscripts to fight because they are poorly trained in comparison to the U.S. special ops. If you take a look at the Russian/Afghanistan conflict, Russian conscripts were getting slaughtered by Afghanistan troops because of their poor training. When President Bush was in office he sent in special ops to fight and he concluded there was no need for a draft. The whole point of learning history is to not make previous mistakes. Drafting young men with much less experience and training than the enemy doesn't make any sense to me at all. But then again the Senators aren't the ones fighting so I guess its pretty easy for them to come up with some stupid ideas. I was wondering what other people's opinions are on the matter.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-19-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote