Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2004, 06:29 AM   #1
Janny
The Blobbit

Immigration and Multiculturalism

Recently it has become wrong to say Britain is a multicultural society. This, I found, was quite amusing. It seems that words must become replaced when their connotations become undesirable, but that the words which replace them always take on the same meanings and connotations.

The real fear I have though is relating to the recent speeches outside mosques in London. People stood and said they had no allegiance to the Queen, no respect for the police, no belief that they should follow government. At the risk of sounding too right wing: What a bloody nerve. It is incidentally ‘high treason’, the last crime in Britain for which execution by hanging can be employed. Of course, I do not suggest for a moment that that is a good idea to form martyrs (and oppose capital punishment anyway).

I just question how people such as these should be dealt with. In this case it was actually British nationals who were making this stand, but should it be necessary for patriotic British people to accept this? Is deporting undesirables morally acceptable, even if only from the viewpoint that in prisons the state is subsidising their existence?

It is disturbing that in what it professed as a multicultural society, there was still a proportion of mosques in Britain which refused to accept the Muslim Council’s suggestion that violent extremism should be prevented by the Muslims in mosques.
I appreciate the contribution of many different cultures to British society, but should it be right that action against the extremists be seen as an action against the whole?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote