Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2004, 05:18 PM   #18
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by dawningoftime
Jesus himself said he was the Son of God.
Well gee... if Jesus said that he was the son of God, then it must be true.

The thing about the Passion that seemed quite anti-Semetic to me was that it didn't really show the motives of the Jews. Yes of course, they showed him in a trial, guilty of blasphemy, etc. etc. But it didn't really show what was going on. Of course, being Jewish, I look at this differently than most Christians, because I don't believe he was the son of God. And neither did the Sanhedrin. So, there's this person who's talking about being the son of God and stuff like that, and he's drawing attention to the Romans. If there's some guy who says he's the King of the Jews to the Romans, they're not going to be too kind about it. As you probably know, the Roman empire wasn't very nice to the Jews at all, and if one person says he's the King of the Jews, it may cause them to massacre. This isn't very unrealistic; similar things happened in Nazi Germany and other such empires. So, the Sanhedrin has a choice. It can let this person do this, and have the Romans kill hundreds of people as a very possible result, or have this one person killed. If I were them, it would be a very very tough decision, but because I don't and they didn't believe he was any bit more divine than anyone else, I'd probably have him killed too. In the movie, it makes the Sanhedrin look as if they just want him dead because he's being blasphemous. It goes way beyond blasphemy.