Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
I don't know why, but there seems to be a lot of stuff (unduly negative stuff) going around about this movie. Whew! I walked into the grocery store, and every magazine was raving about how 'violent' it is. Some people seem to feel that the film focuses too much on gore and violence. Well, repectfully, it is called The Passion of the Christ because that's what it's about.
I have no qualms with people picking on movies for what they do not contain- such as LOTR. The movies leave out a lot, and that annoys some of us fans of the books, mostly because PJ claims to have stuck close to Tolkien, when in reality, he's told his own brand of the tale. I can understand people getting a little miffed at that. However, Mel Gibson's film claims to be a movie about the last 12 hours of the life of Jesus Christ. He didn't say it was going to contain the Sermon on the Mount or the back-story of the Virgin Mary or the Feeding of the Five Thousand. It contains what it says it does. So why are peopl so worked up about it only containing Jesus's torture and crucifiction?
Also, when you want to talk about blood and gore- what about Gladiator? Or The Patriot, when he hacks that one guy to pieces? What about Saving Private Ryan? The opening scenes of this movie are horrific- because that's what really happened in WWII. So Mel Gibson wants to show us what really happened to the Savior of the world, and he does. It's not supposed to be some kind of large-scale Easter play where you see a little bit of red food-coloring here and there and a velcro cross. It's history. And it's rated 'R' for good reason. If people don't want to see a movie that shows this kind of stuff, than simply don't go see it.
I, personally, don't get why people are saying that you could get traumatized if you're faint-hearted, or whatever. I myself was thinking as I watched the movie that it was not as gory as I thought it might be- WHY?! Because I've been desensitized by watching this kind of stuff on other movies! And none of those movies are made out to be some kind of invading monster. I think people have a deeper problem with this film then that.
AMEN!

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote