Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2004, 03:59 AM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrod

JD, my advice for the screen size thing is to fix the column width (in pixels) on the left so that the images fit, and leave everything else to fill up the rest of the screen, the browser will sort out the formatting for you and it'll always look okay. To be honest, a notice on a site that says "optimised for IE v.xx screen rez this x that" means that the developer hasn't given sufficient thought to what it is they're trying to do, even though this is the sort of thing you see on a lot of sites.
I gave a lot of thought to this. I understand about about being able to just let the browser spread out the content - but then you leave that up to something you have no control over. You then have to dynamically calc all the graphics - or else everything gets screwed up. Your idea works great as long as the site doesn't contain a lot of graphics - this will contain a lot of graphics.

BTW - most sites only give a sense of spreading out - by having everything within a main table and centering that table. I chose not to take that route and went with the style that many other sites do - including CNN.com.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-27-2004 at 04:01 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote