Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2004, 08:23 AM   #21
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They're not talking about reasonal cause though - they're talking about ALL students being drug tested.

Do you have your chidren drug tested? They have home kits - why wait until the schools do it if you support it?
I don't suspect it, my daughter is a "goody two shoes", and my son is only turning 8 soon. I simply have no problem with the schools doing this. It doesn't bother me in the least. I see it as an outside tool that aids in the very important and extremely complicated, difficult effort to keep kids "unconfused" and on the "right" path, in an age of mixed messages. Of course I'll talk and explain, but it's not that easy JD. Since I'm basing my "lack of fear over loss of liberty" concerning drug testing in schools on my hard earned personal experience, you can type up all the little quotes you want, but my inner wisdom and common sense tells me to go ahead and throw as many roadblocks as I can into the outwardly appearing "fun and easy street" that actually leads to wasted potential and bodily harm. When it comes to my precious children, I am thinking of the actual, REAL picture in front of me, not political rhetoric. You might feel differently if you actually had invested years of love and life raising some children.
It's a local descision here in my area, and I say "no problem". They sent a letter home asking for parents opinions several years back. I wrote out a long reply stating reasons why I supported it. They have occasional dog sniffing locker searches but no tests yet. Once again, I have no fear of "loss" of anything here. All I personally see is a great opportunity to offer a simple, "concrete" reason for kids that are wobbly on their ideals, and used to tuning lectures from mom out (quite common in the mind of a 13 year old) to make the right choice. You only have one chance to bring your kid up. They only have only have one childhood. Drugs suck.

Last edited by Lizra : 02-24-2004 at 08:25 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote