Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Here is a CNN news article. There are a number of articles on the web about Illinois. I remember it occuring. I think there were better ways of handling it, such as retrials or take them on individual cases.

Here is the numbers you were looking for...

Race of Death Row Inmates Executed Since 1976

This is supposed to indicate that race is a motivating factor in the death sentence...
JD... thanks, those were great breakdowns. Is there also one that gives percentage of blacks commiting capital crimes who receive the death penalty, compared with whites commmiting capital crimes who receive the death penalty? This is my understanding of where the real desparity is - and the part that would be so troubling if there truly is a desparity.

Maybe that desparity isn't so great... from the numbers you show, the race of victims is very much in keeping with the general population - so that makes sense... a criminal mostly picking out a random target. It's also interesting to see the rackial makeup of those executed and on death row...

Meanwhile, I'm gonna have to learn how to start finding that information. Does it usually take awhile? Like multiple searches, and checking numerous search results? Does it take 30, 40 or 60 minutes to turn up info like that or can you do it in 2 or 5 (I'm guessing with you and many other 'mooters, the latter - with me, the former. )
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote