Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
Azhag_Nuug
Hobbit

Another Story

I got this idea from the Hobbit, but it becomes very different. I have been working on this for a solid couple weeks. On paper it came out to be 22 pages, so I hope its the same on the computer. After a little editing and touch ups I hope to have the whole story done and posted here by March. Enjoy.

CHAPTER I
STRANGE COMPANY

Nilos, son of Milos sat in his sturdy old, wooden rocking chair, rocking forth and back, and back and forth, peering out of his window at the comings and goings of his own little corner of the world, where,
though lush and green, with no surprises or anything unexpected happened, he sometimes wished not to be, but travelling about in the wide world about him. He had never travelled over the Brockle River, which ran just ten leagues South of his home.
The light shone from about the rooftops of the clouds so high in the blue sky above. The beams of light sprayed about the grass and thicket, or the corns in Farmer Efgar's garden. All were happy on the bright September day, as Winter slowly crept nearer.
Never could Nilos leave his little home, far North of the cares of the world. His bright kitchen, with green-painted cupboads, and strong steel pans and pots, with the fine-carved wooden spoons. The copper kettle, and the built in fire and mantleplace above it, resting lightly. He was most certainly and upper class Ouron, as they called themselves in Ouras, Capital of Oudon, a small country North of Kayne, the Elder Realm of the world.
Ourons, are much like Men in some ways, but very different also. Firstly, they are far shorter. The average height is 2"4, which, in our eye is very short, yet, as small as they are, their homes are sometimes more than six feet high, built into high hills, or caves. Sometimes though they delved deep in the ground and built inside. The fasion is simple enough, with no stairs but the ones that go down into the cellar rooms, which some do not even have.
He sat in his cumfy old rocking chair, next to the window. It had as plain a design as could be seen, with no runes or anything special carved within it. Only a simple rocking chair, which he would sit in . He could never, even with the world urging him leave it. For fifty years he had loved it, and payed extra pieces of silver and bronze to the maker, he was to old now to work though, so it was good support.
The day was not yet passed noon, and all seemed normal as ever could be in his home, but something unexpected that day happened, which none ever intended to happen. A small company of Men, Dwarves, and Elves strode up on the dirty brick road, that ran from there to the Brockle Bridge, a few leagues West of there. They walked slowly up the hill, passing the hut next to Nilos'. There were two Elves, three Men, and four Dwarves. This was more than an odd sight, for normally, if ever there were, only one or two Dwarves would be seen going South, West, or wherever they wished. Never was there a mix of company like this.
Nilos flung open his bright blue door, with the bronzed knob, looking out at them and the world behind them. 'Pray tell,' he said, 'what thee strange wanderers are doing in this humble corner of the world?' They turned and looked at him, but only one Dwarf spoke.
'What our buisness is, is none of yours little boy,' he said with a squint-eyed look. His eyes were a deep brown, and his hair was long and frazzled. A cut up face he had, with a scar over his eye.
Nilos was furiated. 'No boy am I! I am an Ouron, Northfolk, and if you think I have no buisness with thee, then sadly mistaken are thee! I have as muh buisness as that Elf, or that Man!!' he said and shook his fist in anger.
The Dwarf growled, and went to say somethin, but another stepped forward and stopped him. Pushing him he stood and bent down on one knee, looking down at Nilos. 'I am Yuru, and apologize on my friends behalf. May he be forgiven,' he said.
Nilos smiled at him, and clapped his hands to the surprise of all including himself. 'Never, in all the years of mine nor the lives of any of my forefathers hath a Dwarf bowed before one of us. It is a truly marvelous sight,' he said with glee. ' I am Nilos, son of Milos, and I am yet curious, if thou doth not mind explaining to I?'
He stood and nodded his head, 'indeed no, but now we must be off, for there is much to be done now, and if we explained, we would need to stay long past supper, so nay young Nilos, not now.'
'And why should I not have company for lunch and dinner?

Come all in,
All Dwarf and Men,
Tall ones,
Short ones,
Elven friend.
King and Ranger,
Warrior, Sreanger!
All come through,
For here we brew,
Beer, ale and wine,
That tastes so fine!
Come all in,
Elf, Dwarf and Men!

Come all in, Elf, Dwarf and Men!!' Nilos repeated, and he chuckled to see them laughing with him. He ushered them in and so they did. The Dwarves were quite strange in their difference. Yuru seemed less clean, and more rugged. His dark brown hair was covered by a steel helmet, embodied with Dwarven jewels and gold. His boots were a thick leather, with no buckle, but they sat high up nicely on his feet. A large axe was wielded on his back, and two small hatchets for cutting and throwing on his side.
There was an old one, who walked bent on a wooden cane, broken and chipped, worn from old age it was. His hair was a very thin grey, and it was not covered by any hat or anything. His face was wrinkled and bent, to make him seem much older than he was. Silken cloth was wrapped around him, and golden-coloured lace strapped about his waist. Upon his head was a golden crown, gleaming and basking in the noon sun. It rose to seven small points, at which a jewel, each a different colour sat upon. It stood a foot or more above his old head, making him seem so much taller than he was. No weapon did he hold for he was a humble Dwarf.
There was another Dwarf, more cleansed, and wore clean, flowing clothes, with many Elvish runes and words sown into them. It was a strange sight, but nothing else was. He wore a quite ordinary pair of boots, with a gold buckle, and heavy chain armour under his leather padding.
A fat one there was also, less tall, but more built. He wore nothing out of the regular as they would say, but simple Dwarf fashion, and nothing more. A square helmet, and a heavy chain mail, with Dwarven letters in gold on it.