Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Well as I said I think the whole concept is corrupt and both parties have taken advantage of this. Now there are a lot of people who think the republicans have really taken it up a notch recently but thats a subject for others to debate and Im more concerned with the inherent faults of the system.

Well theres got to be a more independent group out there then the actually winners of the elections themselves even if there are some token losers thrown in. And if we need to worry about people bribing them then we are back to square one. there should be an individual (like a judge) or a body of equivalent stature who can base the districts on figures alone and not use sophisticated computer programs to maximize their parties power while still declaring they are following the population rules and therefore everything is above board. the rules need to change in that case.
I don't know how we could find an unbiased group. I certainly don't think judges are unbiased.

Also don't believe the Republicans 'took it up a notch' as you seem led to believe. You should see the districts in Illinois... drawn by Democrats. Fingers reaching all over, every which way, across counties, in-and-out of Chicago with absolutely no reason or rhyme (EDIT: unless you're a politician).

Frankly, I think the Democratic congresspersons from Texas who left the state to avoid the issue coming to a vote should be booted right out of congress. They were shirking their duties and making a bigger stink about it than ever should have been. I imagine the previous boundaries in Texas were just as bad - only favoring THEM instead of their opponents.

*sigh* Sorry JD, we should probably have a 're-districting' thread...

Last edited by Valandil : 01-19-2004 at 09:12 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote