Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
BTW Dùnedain - just as a point of interest, did you vote for Bush in the last election? If not, what has changed your mind about the man, after all he is fundamentally still the same as he was then and I cannot believe that you'd think waging of a war could suddenly change the principles that made you not vote for him the last time? I can understand that, having lived in NY most of your life (if not all) you were probably more directly affected by 9/11 and thus the way he handled it (if you were as impressed with it as JD) could impress you, but to the extent where it'd sway your vote? Just interested in knowing.
Nope, I actually voted for Gore last election. I think the big thing that changed things and the reason why I am voting for Bush is due to 9/11 for the most part. I was greatly affected by it, as I grew up about 45 minutes from the World Trade Centers. I knew about 5 people who died, directly and indirectly (as in knowing of them, but not friends with them). 1 person I knew lived 4 houses away from me, he was a Firefighter Chief for one of the company's.

Outside of that though, I've been in agreement with Bush on a number of other issues as well, such as Iraq, the War on Terror, the improvements in national security (and continual improvement). Overall, I think our country is much more aware and safer than it was and has been for a long time. Of course there is room for improvement, but even in the best situation there is always room for improvement. Now, there are some things I disagree with Bush on, but for the most part I like and agree with everything he's done. I also don't think Gore would have been as effective in the same situation Bush was put in with 9/11. I mean it's one thing to have something like this happen as a President, but to have it happen in the first year on the job would normally have bigger disaster written all over it, but thankfully it didn't come to that.

I also think it would be bad for the country to change directions in leadership in such an important time in American and World history. The next 5-10 years are going to probably be the most important time for all of us and for our kids and their kids, compared to comparable times in history.

I know I didn't go into great detail here, but does that answer it better for you?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen