Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

'popularity' 'coolness' 'loser'-your thoughts

I hope there isn't already a thread on this... This thread is meant to pertain to school-age (middle, high, and college) 'popularity'. So probably mostly applicable to 12-20 ish

It seems like there are 2 different types of popular....
a-Someone who is just generally well liked in a broad spectrum of peers for whatever reasons
b- someone who tries to be well liked among the 'pretty people' and the people who tend to have more respect... the group of people who tries to go with trends and fashions and hobbies and such that will have them accepted by the 'cool group' so many kids aspire to. Superficial popularity...

I know when I was in Middle-School, going to a christian school, 'popular' was used for category B, although they usually have far less friends and are liked less than category A. Or maybe all of the 'less fortunate' peers look up to them for their fashion and looks and money (which is a pity... when even the lower-social-order kids adapt to the superficiality).

I think one of the biggest divides, that superficially divides the people in to 'cool' and 'popular' (atleast at first until people grow up and get over the labels) from the 'losers' is looks. Humans are visual creatures and it has been proven in studies that attractive people generally make more money and are more likely to get jobs than less attractive people (If you want I can dig up the resource). Not neccessarily that the interviewer and people promoting them are entirely at fault for being 'unfair'... I think people who are not as blessed with physical attraction as other people tend to be les comfortable with themselves and less confident socially, and may not be able to display themselves as well at interviews and such, socially, as 'pretty people'.

Post if your interested. If you have anything to contribute or discuss, please do

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 01-07-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote