Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

A Short Story: Beautiful Emptiness

I've finally gotten this out of my system, but if anyone is willing to help me, then I was wondering if this short story has any focus at all, or gives any kind of thoughts to the reader? I am notoriously bad at short stories and wanted to make this epic, so as you can imagine, a 2,000 word limit was painful. Anyhow, comments would be appreciated as for a start, I don't know if it is okay to divide a short story like this into 2 people's point of view...meh

Beautiful Emptiness

Kikiko watched the three geisha girls glide past her, talking in soft, hushed voices and hurrying along to the chamber where they were needed. She paused to watch after them, their wooden clad feet tapping on the stone court floor, and the fabric of their dresses trailing silently behind them. She smiled mimicking their graceful movements secretly as she disappeared back to her family.

That evening after the return to their home in the village Kikiko stared dreamily into the mirror at her reflection, thinking about the day spent amongst all those wealthy and beautiful people. She wondered if she could ever be that beautiful and admired, hoping that she would. Kikiko was six years old.

Seven years later the dream was still alive for Kikiko and she woke every morning thinking about it before she began her chores around the house. Obsessed with everything beautiful she had collected a number of paintings and had shells and stones lining the shelves in her room. To Kikiko, there was something beautiful in everything.

However, one day she awoke not to the thoughts of what she might become but to screams of fear and the sound of hooves clattering on the streets outside. She leaped up and hurried down through the house, the walls of which were trembling around her. She dared a glance out of the window and gasped, horrified. The men on horses were burning and destroying everything in sight, slashing at the villagers who were trying desperately to escape. Cannons fired and blew holes in the houses, knocking people flying out of windows and forcing them to jump out of harms way.

Kikiko jumped, startled as someone grabbed hold of her arm. Her brother was pulling her down the stairs. “You must hide,” he said, “hide with the others,” and he rushed out of the door with his sword raised. But Kikiko was too afraid to move. A flaming arrow had sailed through an open window and set fire to some fabrics in the house. Fire spread quickly to the wooden beams and black smoke snaked its way through the house engulfing the ceilings of every room. She turned to seek her family when the door was swung open, smashing against the wall. Burning ash fell like snow from the roof, and the man grabbed her by the arm pulling her from the house with a grotesque smile on his harsh face.

Screaming and struggling she was thrown to the floor. She could see her friend Kanna crying with fear as she tried to escape the cruel clutches of one of the invaders. Deciding she was too much trouble the invader slashed his sword in one swift, unforgiving moment and turned back to the battle. Kanna crumpled to the floor and Kikiko closed her eyes, curling up and wishing it all away as around her the invaders pillaged the village, razed the buildings to the ground, killed the men, took hostages and raped women.

Carefully Kikiko poured the tea into each cup, offering it silently to the guests. They took their cups with thanks and she bowed to them, collecting the teapot and leaving the room with Masako and Ayan. The three girls did not speak to each other as they walked down the corridor and into the tea room. Once there though, they broke the silence.

“I think the governor was pleased,” Ayan said cheerfully. Masako nodded as she emptied one of the pots.
“And I wonder why those men brought their sons here,” she added as she placed it back on its shelf. Kikiko remained silent.
“They must be ready to choose,” Ayan began. “Kikiko, what did you think?” Both girls turned to look at her and she stopped stacking the cups.
“That is why they are here,” she answered quietly. Ayan and Masako smiled and drifted off into conversation again whilst they worked. Kikiko placed the last tea cup on the shelf and slipped out of the room in silence.

Her room was warm and she sat quietly and perfectly still as her overseer observed her work.
“Excellent Kikiko!” she muttered. “You look absolutely fabulous.” She smiled and laid a gentle hand on Kikiko’s shoulder. “You are the most beautiful of all the girls I have worked with for some time my child, now this time make sure you present yourself correctly and everything will be fine.” The woman left the room and Kikiko stared into the mirror. Everything about her was perfect, the hair was elegantly tied up, her dress a soft shade of blue with almost-white flowers and her features were so well fitted to the make up. But she knew it didn’t matter. She would never be admired, she would never be beautiful to them because she was tainted.

Kikiko stood and took a final glance at her reflection, forcing a smile. Then she picked up her fan and left the room. Ayan and Masako were waiting for her in the corridor and together they started to walk towards the presentation room. As they walked silently Kikiko spotted a child, a girl of no more than eight years old following them. Her face was bright and pretty as she looked adoringly at the three girls. Kikiko looked away, her presentation smile fading; her defensive make-up flaking away.

As she and the girls executed their duties to the letter and performed perfectly Kikiko was able to forget about the reminder of her past until she was allowed a break, whilst the governor chatted to his guests. She could see him gesturing and smiling as he spoke to one of his officials. They looked in Kikiko’s direction and though he smiled at her, she could see regret in his eyes. The man and his son both looked at her and she looked away, her eyes filling with tears that she blinked away. She was far enough away to be unable to hear what was being said, though she knew. She was not a good match for any son. She had no contacts besides those within the governor’s house, no family and no property. Beauty was nothing compared to those things.

The long day ended and the visitors left the household. Ayan and Masako retreated to the washroom, talking excitedly. As Kikiko approached, hearing them speak stopped her in her tracks and she flung her towel back down, stepping out onto the garden path. She walked to a bench that sat beneath a blossoming tree and overlooked an inlet of the lake. The tree swayed in the gentle breeze with a quiet, melancholy beauty and she gazed at herself in the water seeing none of it. Long ago Kikiko had forgotten what beauty was. She had clung onto the only thing she had left of her life and fought for it with determination. But she knew that it made no difference at all, because she had chosen to forget the reason for dreaming when she chose to blank out everything from her past.

Kikiko had finally become what she had wanted to as a child, only now when Kikiko looked at herself she realised she didn’t know that child. When she looked at the blooming pink flowers through the tears that blurred her vision she saw only that some day soon this flower would wane, shrivel and die. Just as everything else would. To Kikiko, nothing was beautiful. Nothing at all.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 01-06-2004 at 06:27 PM.
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote