Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #11
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I can only speak of Norwegians - almost everyone speak English here, but more or less fluently, according to how much practise they've had. We have of course a great advantage in that we are exposed to English/American books, movies, TV-series (subtitled, not dubbed!), music, magazines, newspapers etc. all along. All children learn English at school, starting when they're about 8-9 yrs old. When I was young (alas - too many years ago, I've forgotten so much!) I also got to learn one language more, I could choose between German and French, and chose German. If I knew then what I know now, I think I would have chosen French instead, simply because it seems that Germans speak English much better than French people.

I've had some Frensh lessons and know some of the basics, but I think I would be in serious trouble if I were to be left alone in a small French countryside village.

And I'm currently trying to learn Spanish, but I don't get to practise so a Spaniard would probably not understand much of my talking.

As for the EU to use only one language, I think it will impossible for a long time to come. Personally I cringe at the mere thought of it. Should I abandon Norwegian for, let's say, English? No! Language is too much tied up with national identity, culture and history to give it up. And I would say Europeans are very aware of their nationality! Yes, something would certainly be lost.

Last edited by Artanis : 12-29-2003 at 01:19 PM.