Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2000, 07:35 PM   #26
etherealunicorn

re:

I have not posted in this thread yet, either, although I cannot claim to have kept up with things as I should have, lately. I do intend to go back over some of these longer posts soon and I will respond as seems fitting then, but I did have a few comments to make now. My apologies if anything I say here has already been beaten to death earlier

First of all, I will not presume to say that science has explained it all by any stretch of the imagination. Undoubtedly, there are a few things that they will prove to have been misinformed about, just as there are probably things that they have been absolutely correct on. So any item taken as scientific fact should be understood to be considered factual only by virtue of there not being a better idea that covers all the evidence.

It was mentioned about the age of the magnetic field of the earth being an indicator of age: the age of which one, then? There is evidence to indicate that this very same magnetic field has abruptly altered its' polarity numerous times in the past. How does this sort of puzzle factor in? Nor is this by far the only puzzle.

Tater, you mentioned about this fossil in the cliff. I do not presume to be a fully trained geologist, but I do have an interest in such things and I believe there are a few more mundane explanations that may be possible for this before we start searching for a more esoteric cause. One that leaps to my mind, considering the nature of the region's geology, is that this fossil may be in metamorphic rock. Or it may simply be that this prehistoric tree grew in a crack in this rock that existed when it was a seedling. I don't say you are wrong, just that there may be things you have not considered.

Perhaps I am dense, but I don't quite understand all the fuss. Evolution does not invalidate creation or vice versa. If anything, evolution increases the power and awe of God. Before I go on, let me say that when I refer to God, I mean that I do believe that there is a Prime Mover of the whole of existence. This Power was there in the Beginning and will be there when there is nothing else in all of infinity. I do not particularly care which name you care to put to this being. God serves as a nice, neat and concise term, so I will continue to use it.

I am in absolute awe of the thought that God created, out of the void, a spark that expanded to fill the entire universe with all of its' stars and nebulae and planets and the myriad little critters, of which man is only one, that live on those planets. That God KNEW the path that each little molecule of Creation would take from Big Bang to Big Crunch and beyond. Now a God that has power of this enormity is a God that I can believe in.
Perhaps our search for knowledge, be it spiritual, physical or moral is the key to it. It may not matter who is right because both sides are. Our faith sustains our belief and makes us want to reach out for understanding, because every part of the whole of creation that we come to understand brings us closer to God. Each new bit of knowledge gives us a greater appreciation for the magnificence of the creation that has been wrought.

I guess you could say that I believe in God because I can see the power of God in the world around me, in every particle of the universe. The universe seems rather like a fractal in this respect; Every level sort of replicates itself on a larger scale. We find orbits in atoms and galaxies. It seems to me that for everything to fit together and move together as beautifully as science shows us, there must be a greater Power that oversees the motion.

So why should there be a debate? Who ever said that Adam and Eve looked at all like we do now? Just because life as we know it evolved into the state in which we find it now doesn't mean that there was not an ultimate Creator at some point that we know as the Beginning.