Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2003, 04:13 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

France wants to prevent students from wearing religious garb...

France wants to prevent students from wearing muslim head scarfs or covering themselves and now they have just suggested that all religious garbs should NOT be permitted in the schools at all. This I feel is infringement on personal freedoms. Here in the United States we have jews and muslims sitting next to each other in classes, they wear their clothing. jews are aloud to wear yarmulkas and muslims can wear head scarves or be covered. There is no restriction on wearing religious jewelry either.

On French news a couple of weeks ago they had about a jewish school where the students are being terrorized. They have to be walked to the corner of the street with a teacher, but then they are basically on their own hoping nothing will happen to them. They have resorted to wearing baseball caps to hide their yarmulkas. A couple of days ago the news interviewed students who just beat up jewish kids waiting for the train and stuff - they said it was funt o just beat up jewish students because they are weak. Two weeks ago, a jewish school was burnt to the ground.

Now France argues that they have a seperation of church and state in their public schools and therefore do not allow students to show any outward appearance of their religion. This to me is infringing on the individual rights of the student and creates a misunderstanding between the different religions. I think it is ridiculous for anyone to have to hide their religion just because they have entered school. I think it is great that here you can see a muslim wearing a headscarf and next to her, a jewish boy wearing a yarmulka. We don't teach religion in school, unlike in France - so why do they have a have a far greater prejudice problem than we do here? And how is it in the rest of Europe, form looking at the news it seems as if Germany has a huge problem - as well as other European countries.

continued...

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-11-2003 at 04:20 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote