Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2003, 12:03 AM   #11
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Dave,

You generally seem much more versed in philosophy than me, but in case you're not aware of it, there's a particular philosophy called "Objectivism" (capital 'O') based on the writings of author Ayn Rand. It tries to be very strictly logical, rational, capitalistic...(ED: oh - and centers on the importance of THE INDIVIDUAL!!) here my knowledge of it breaks down.

Most of us architects are somewhat aware of her and her ideals because she has written one of the few novels starring an architect ("The Fountainhead" - made into a semi-silly movie w/ Gary Cooper). If you see somebody reading it in public, 10-to-1 they're an architect or architecture student.

Curious, I took the deeper plunge and read "Atlas Shrugged" - great reading for anyone who thinks they want to be a liberal, but in my opinion you have to take her with a major grain of salt. It's also over 1,000 pages - so you have to psych up for it.

Anyway, her atheism is apparent - along with hedonism, but all justified by achievement, success, production, etc. Her own life ended up in shambles, which was sad, but maybe to be expected.

My apologies if you're aware of all this and were simply posting way over my head on the subject!

ED: On the other hand, if you look into it, you might be much more capable of seeing its flaws and picking it apart than I would.

Last edited by Valandil : 12-11-2003 at 04:45 PM.