Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Book versus Film Peace Treaty Thead

My first reaction to Sister Golden Hair's announcement was to jump in and quote the Webster's definition for that nasty P-word that is evidently considered so derogitory. But the fact of the matter is, the people demanding a literal interpretation of Tolkien's LOTR have taken the p-word as a negative term and somebody's thrown out a truly negative term for the film lovers in response so I do understand and support the admin's position here.

It also seems to me that with the increase of new visitors and posters to this site as the anticipation and excitement builds for the new ROTK film, there has been an equal increase in aggressive film-bashing here. This is a time for all Tolkienites to be celebrating the world's focus on Lord of the Rings instead of engaging in a enthusiasm-sapping civil war.

So being the noble Tolkien message board stateman that I am, I would like to propose a truce. Here are my suggestions for the terms of our truce:

1. No blanket name-calling. In addition to SGH's note about posters, I would propose that this include the film-makers, the books, or the films. You would continue to have every right to like or dislike things about the films. But defend your opinions with arguements that support your position, instead of resorting to simple name-calling. Name calling is not only a lazy person's way of debating (i.e. "Jackson is a hack," "the movies suck", etc.), it's boring to read and doesn't contribute to any ongoing debate or discussion.

2. Remember the popularity of the films are no threat to the books. The two classics can co-exist without one necessarily being better or worse than the other. I may have touched off some initial negative reactions here a year or so ago when I innocently posted that Peter Jackson has improved parts of the story. Gee whiz, I had no idea my comments would turn out to be so provocative! The fact of the matter is, the two complement each other very well.

3. Keep in mind, our opinions are not life-and-death. This is supposed to be fun. If you can't post stuff with a smile on your face, then maybe you should stick to just reading these threads and leave the posting to more mature people.

There you have it!!!! I'm laying down the olive branch to all of my former sworn enemies. (Geez, I sorta feel like Henry Kissinger! Give me the next Nobel Peace Prize!) Okay, so come on over here, jerseydevil and Cirdan and the rest of you p..er, literal adaptation people...let's all have (((a group hug))) and then get in line for the opening of ROTK.

Last edited by Black Breathalizer : 12-05-2003 at 03:02 PM.