Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider Yule-tide in Eriador - Speculation

Since one of Tolkien's purported purposes was to create a mythology for England, I wonder if his inclusion of a "Yule" season in the calendars of the Shire and Arnor represents the start of an attempt to explain the origins of the (pre-Christian) Christmas traditions of Northern Europe.

In Appendix B, I believe he only mentions the "Yule" as part of the Shire calendar. Yule 1 is the last day of each calendar year, and Yule 2 is the first day of the next calendar year. In "Peoples of Middle Earth" this is also the custom in Arnor (but not Gondor - maybe the early-mid winter celebration is more needful where the winters are harsh). Also - he says there that the Yule season extended to the week before and the week after. (Uh - I think I got those details right - but it's been a couple months since I read it.)

So - now that we're just 12 days from ROTK, and just 20 days from Christmas, I'm thinking Christmassy thoughts - and can't help a Middle-earth overlap.

I envision maybe big family gatherings for the Northern Dunedain - as well as opportunities for all the unmarried young folk to get acquainted. Maybe a nice warm fire, with a Yule Log, maybe the use of an Evergreen Tree (lighted?), decorations of holly & ivy, maybe mistletoe ... heck, maybe even some traveling minstrel elves joined the festivities, dressed in bright red & green... feasting, singing, gift-giving, sleigh rides, romance (EDIT: Oh - and snowball fights!!)... whatever would create memories to help you get through the next 2-3 months of a northern winter without central heating, humidifiers, modern insulation, etc.

So... anyone else want to add to my vision of Yule-tide in early/mid third age Arnor and associated areas??? Especially interested in input from our Euro-friends, who might be more familiar with the actual origins of some of these things. I imagine that even the customs we imported or brought here with us are practiced differently than they are back in Europe...

Last edited by Valandil : 12-05-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote