Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #13
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I agree, squinty, the fact that he let them rough him up didn't add to my view of movie-Faramir's character as closer to that of the book. I think they shot it originally because they felt they needed to make it very obvious to the viewers WHY Gollum felt betrayed by Frodo.
I think the fact that, from Gollum's perspective (which was made quite clear--"why master, why!?"), Frodo tricked him into being captured and tied up would be enough to establish the sense of betrayal. Turning Faramir's men into petty thugs was ridiculous and insulting. Aren't the men of Gondor supposed to be noble soldiers fighting evil? No, they're apparently a bunch of guys who have no problem beating the crap out of a starving, emaciated, frightened creature one-third their size. There's no reason that piece should have been filmed in the first place, let alone put into the EE. If the average filmgoer cannot figure it out, that's their problem.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot

Last edited by zinnite : 11-26-2003 at 02:43 PM.
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote