Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
cian
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner None of the examples that were cut and pasted from Conrad Dunkerson’s essay the Truth about Balrogs Vol.6 are comparable to the way Tolkien used the phrase winged speed. That essay is a shinning example of the perils of language deconstruction, and the fact that one can kick up enough dust with their feet so that they can no longer see a hand in front of their face. Cian both you and Grendel should give the source when you cut and paste from someone else’s work too (if you did and I missed it, my apologies).
Actually, the quotes I posted were cut and pasted from a post by David Salo, who gathered up a few in one place in a newsgroup discussion -- in any case they are referenced as to their 'source'. My apologies to David if he ever looks in here, as he did the 'gathering' and typing.

I made no reference at all to Conrad's essay.

You posted that: 'Winged speed is an expression used most often for swift flight with wings.'

I posted examples where 'winged speed' is used with regard to things without wings.

¤
cian is offline   Reply With Quote